Friday, April 17, 2009

Brown-sugar glazed ham balls

So much for my goal of posting a new recipe every day or two! I've been too busy to cook anything yummy, let alone blog about it. But tonight I was so excited about this recipe that I had a blast making and eating it, even though my husband brought home an entire leftover pizza (which we'll just have to eat tomorrow). And even my super-picky baby loved these ham balls. Perhaps that's due to all the brown sugar they soak up?

I love ham and always buy the biggest one I can find at Christmas and Easter, when the prices are low. It freezes so well--I usually have several bags-ful in my freezer. But I get tired of my standard ham recipes, and this one was a nice change, and so easy. By the way, it makes quite a few large balls, so we have plenty of leftovers. Here's the recipe (no photo--broken camera). Thanks to my sister-in-law Kathryn for sharing this with me!

1 lb. ground pork
1 lb. ground fully cooked ham (I used my food processor to chop it)
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
2/3 cup crushed Shredded Wheat cereal (not frosted)

Sauce:
1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup vinegar
3/4 teaspoon ground mustard

In a bowl, combine the pork, ham, eggs, milk and cereal; mix well. Shape into 1 ½-inch to 2-inch balls; place in a greased 9x13 baking dish. In a saucepan, combine sauce ingredients; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes. Pour over ham balls. Bake, uncovered, at 350ยบ for 60–70 minutes or until browned.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh, my goodness! My mom does this recipe (close enough) but does it in a bread pan. We call it ham loaf... delicious!!