Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Baked Stuffed Zucchini

Every year we have a never-ending supply of zucchini from our garden so I am always on the look out for a new recipe. Here is one I recently discovered and my hubby LOVED IT! Not sure that the picture does it much justice:
4 medium zucchini
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 can (14oz.) diced tomatoes
1 can (8oz.) tomato sauce
1 can (6oz.) tomato paste
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. rosemary
Parmesan cheese
Cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Parboil whole zucchini about 10 minutes. Drain; slice in half and scoop out middles. Mash zucchini pulp and set aside. Saute ground beef, onion, garlic and green pepper until vegetables are tender and meat is cooked/brown. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, thyme, rosemary and mashed zucchini. Simmer. Stuff scooped out zucchini shells with mixture. Sprinkle generously with both cheeses. Bake for 45 minutes.

*I used 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles (instead of plain) and it gave it a scrumtious kick!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Oh my goodness, Dee. I am making this for the second year in a row. I could not eat enough of it last year. Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting it. YUM!